Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Pike Place Market

Working downtown has its advantages including having the market only a few blocks away. About twice a week I walk down Pike Place to Michou, my favorite panini shop. I’ve gotten to know what performers stake out certain locations, which vendors will give me a free slice of fresh peach and where people stand that hold cardboard signs that make me smile.
On one popular corner there is the man that showcases his African Grey parrot by juggling him and shooting him “dead”. If he isn’t there his spot is normally taken by the man and his amazing socialized cat that wears sweaters even when its 80 degrees outside. I was surprised during my walk today to see someone new on this particular corner…a smoking, swearing clown making balloon animals. Go figure.
There are fresh produce vendors all over the market. I enjoy “price watching” the vendors that I walk by regularly. For example, two weeks ago Rainier cherries made their yearly debut. They started out at 7.99 per pound. Last week they were 6.99 and today they are down to 5.95. At this rate they should be at a price I’m willing to pay in another few weeks and Peter can have his Rainier cherry pie.
Lastly, I always get a good laugh from my favorite man with a cardboard sign. I’m hesitant to call him homeless but I’m pretty sure he is. He boldly stands at the corner of Pike Street and 1st with a 3 foot tall sign that reads “My Dad was killed by ninjas, need money for karate lessons”. He deserves every penny he gets.

No comments: