Monday, June 25, 2007

Backyard Rescue


I went outside to water my flowers today and found a baby Robin sitting on a rock.



As I walked closer to him he didn't move much but his eyes were open. I left him there and went inside to research "what to do if a baby bird is in your back yard". I found a PAWS questionnaire that basically said to leave him alone because he had no physical injuries but I have a history of saving wild birds so I couldn't let this little guy down.



I waited for Peter to get home and we went back outside to check on him. Peter got a rake and coaxed the bird to jump on the stick (further proving he wasn't really injured). With the little bird slipping back and forth on the handle of the rack we tried to decide where to put him. The lot behind us has an apple tree and several blackberry bushes so Peter put the stick close to one of the trees that hangs over our fence. The bird fell off the stick and flutter to the ground. Peter tried to get the bird back on the stick but he just started squawking and peaking at it. About that time we herd rustling over the fence. Displaying his masterful bird watching skills Peter saw an adult Robin and many baby Robins running around on the overgrown bushes on the other side of the fence. By this time the little Robin on our side of the fence had hopped back to the rock I found him on. Since the rake was now his enemy we got a shovel to scoop the bird up with. As the bird was making his second trip back to the fence he jumped off the shovel and started to descend quickly but just at the fence line he turned and went over the fence. Peter and I peaked over the fence and within a few minutes the bird hopped his way up to the other birds. The adult Robin approached him slowly and then offered him a worm. He was back home.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nate would be so proud of these bird centered blogs! And I am very jealous of your weekly strolls at Pike Place. I think it's such a neat place. Hope you're both doing well!